When you get the new still be sure to wash all the parts and the outside of the still. One of the advantages of owning a stainless moonshine still is that it is very easy to clean when compared to a copper still. Here are some recommendations how to clean your new still:
- Use warm water and any dish soap you would use for your own pots and pans
- Make a solution of 1 tablespoon of 3% caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide) and 2 liters of water (recommended temperature of 180 degrees Fahrenheit) and use that solution to rinse the still.
- Common white vinegar is also a great cleaning agent for your still.
- Do NOT use any bleach.
- Mix 1 tablespoon salt with 1 cup vinegar to make a paste and apply to outside of the copper still to remove any tarnish. Add flour to thicken the paste. Rinse with water after 30 minutes. Repeat the process if necessary
- Combine ketchup, lemon juice and cream of tartar (optional) to make a paste and clean the outside of the still. Rinse with water.
Once you have cleaned up the outside, you should do your first batch run which cleans the inside of the still and removed any flux. A common first run method includes making a solution by mixing equal parts of vinegar and water that is one-fifth capacity of the still and running it through the still. Then follow this by running a cheap alcohol run that strips out the flavor from the previous run. Now your still is ready for making great tasting moonshine and spirits.
Do you have any tips that have worked for you? We would love to hear it in the comment section.